Project SPELL is now accepting applications for 2019-20 tutors! Both new and returning tutors can apply using the same application. Please apply by Friday, October 4 wWeek 1). Email Program Director Stephanie Youngblood at [email protected] with any questions.
About Project SPELL
Project SPELL (Students for Progress in Employee Language Learning) partners UCLA undergraduate and graduate student volunteers with UCLA frontline employees from custodial, maintenance, and food service units for personalized tutoring in English as a Second Language.
Tutors provide their availability, background, and skills, and are matched with employee language learners whose schedules and needs make for a convenient and beneficial match.
Tutors work independently, meeting one on one with their learners at locations across campus at their assigned tutoring time. Tutors use the goals and curriculum provided to prepare lessons tailored to their learners’ individual goals.
Training is provided during an Orientation and workshops with the Program Director and other tutors. Tutors also have the opportunity to meet one on one with the Program Director for more individualized assistance.
Tutors and learners work together in a dynamic partnership that sees both parties learning, growing, and seeing themselves and each other in new ways.
Fall Quarter Key Dates
- Application Deadline: Friday, October 4 (Week 1)
- Application Decisions: Monday, October 7 (Week 2)
- Orientation: Saturday, October 12 (Week 2)
- Tutoring: Monday, October 14 - Friday, December 6 (Weeks 3 - 10)
- Tutor Training Meetings: Friday, October 18, November 1, and November 15 (Weeks 3, 5, and 7)
Connect with Us
- Join our mailing list
- Project SPELL Tutor Resources and Lesson Plans Wix Site
- UCLA Project SPELL Tutors on Facebook